2013 brought great joy and happiness to our household with the birth of our first son, Skyler Thomas on June 15th, 2013. Tom and I have loved being able to get to know our son and to enjoy the adventures of parenthood. We travelled quite a bit last year and lots of family came to visit as well. Overall, it was an amazing year on both a personal and family level.
In 2014, I know that God will provide just as an amazing year as 2013, but perhaps He will challenge us this year to trust and put our faith in Him even more than we ever have before. It is human nature to want to know why and how and when exactly everything will occur, but it is Faith to step-out in the direction God is leading us WITHOUT understanding or knowing why or how or when or IF anything will ever occur. We will be stepping-out in faith a lot this year, and I’m excited.
A couple of changes and big decisions are coming up in our lives that we have been praying and continue to pray about everyday for guidance.
Tom is applying to get out of the Air Force this Spring to pursue a professional golf career. This would be his dream job, and he has been trying to get out of the Air Force for almost 2 years now. We think they will finally let him out this time due to force management programs and Air Force reductions.
We are contemplating buying a house in Fort Collins. We just love it here. And if I decide to get out we could stay here for a few years while Tom establishes his career. Or, if I stay-in it will be a great rental property to other Air Force families. More to come.
In the new year Sky will turn 1 years old. We will celebrate our 4th anniversary being married, and we will enjoy all of the milestones in between. What else will God send our way?
So what are my goals for this coming year based on above uncertainty? Well, there is no use in worrying about what I cannot control, but there are a few things that I can set my sights on that I do have control over!
1. I want to do my devotionals and spend more time in the Word every day. We are participating in 21 days of fasting and prayer with our church right now, and I hope that this time of focusing on my relationship with God will be fruitful and help me grow more as a Christian wife, mother, sister, and daughter.
2. Because Tom will most likely be separating from the Air Force, we will focus on honing our budget as much as possible as our two incomes dwindles to one secure income with the potential for much more. We have fairly accurate historical data from the past two years on spending habits, but I would like to hone it down even more. I bought a book called Your Grocery Budget Toolbox, and I look forward to working through it through the next couple of months, which means lots of new spreadsheets! Woohoo! I know… I’m a nerd!
3. We are decluttering and reducing excess “stuff” and furniture in the house so that we are more efficient and as close to minimalist as two pack rats can get. I am hoping to do a full inventory with this as well. I will keep you all informed on how this one goes…it’s going to be hard! But I know that life is so much greater and simpler when there isn’t so much “stuff” around! Whenever I need motivation to declutter, I just go read The Minimalists website for some inspiration.
4. I am projected to finish my masters this year. I have been working on my MBA for the past 2 years part-time. I am signed up for 3 classes this spring, 2 in the summer, and 2 next fall. If it all works out, I will be done in December!
5. I will be training for RAGBRAI in July. I look forward to getting to know more about cycling and staying in shape.
6. I want to maintain this blog all year long. My goal is to post at least 3 times a week and to have at least 100 followers by the end of 2014.
I am putting these goals out here to hopefully have the motivation to stick with them all year. Nothing like the world wide web to hold me accountable! If you have goals for the new year to share, please leave a comment and we can encourage each other 🙂